Tips for Building An Individual First Aid Kit (IFAK)
Whether you are a competitive shooter, a backyard shooter, a firearms instructor, or just an everyday person going about your business you should consider building an Individual First Aid Kit with you. We built IFAKs for ourselves and we carry them in our trucks. When we go to the range we have a second one on our utility belts or close by.
IFAKs become particularly important in a mass shooting event. Consider these statistics:
- 64% of the time the event is over within 5 minutes.
- 60% of the time it is over before police arrive.
- 35% of pre-hospital deaths are from hemorrhaging (preventable with proper tourniquet application)
- 80% of patients are transported to medical facilities by non-ambulatory services
Having an IFAK quickly available can save your life or the life of a loved one.
Building your IFAK is quite easy. You will need to purchase the following items and also some kind of pouch or container to hold everything. We have a vendor relationship with North American Rescue (https://www.narescue.com/). We can help you make these purchases.
Here’s what you need (at a minimum):
• Tourniquet (we have several with us, but there is always one in the IFAK)
• HALO chest seal (x2)
• Clotting gauze (quick clot)
• Rolled or Z fold gauze
• Israeli bandage
• Gloves (x2)
• Sharpie marker
• Nylon webbing
• Trauma shears
• Surgical tape
Emergency Casualty Care Course (E-Triple C)
We offer an occasional Emergency Casualty Care Course taught by a highly skilled paramedic with many years of experience. The course, when available, will be posted on our calendar on this website.